Monday, July 20, 2009

Trail Ridge.

Day 45 - July 18, 10:00pm
71 miles. Estes Park, CO to Granby, CO

Crazy day. No. EPIC DAY! Most likely because we spent 20 miles climbing non stop uphill along the highest paved road in America to 12,183 feet. Again, like yesterday it really wasn't super horrible. While the roads were never ending, they weren't that steep. The biggest issue was the thinner air. Have never had to pant that hard for anything. Even when running towards food.

The day started out kind of frantic as the new brakes i put on the night before were rubbing my tire, but i worked it out and then did an awesome shakedown warm up with the group that i headed out with. Changing 2,000 mile old brakes the day before an 11 mile descent = best idea ever!

Of course the scenery today was out of control. Just so much wild beauty and soaring mountains. Seeing the snow peaks took it to a whole other level. Even got to see these great Elk just chilling on the side of the road. Of course there was a massive slowdown of cars as literally everyone and their mother stopped to take a picture, or mostly fumble with their camera trying to do so.


We stopped only about a million times at each lookout point. They only kept getting better. At one i got to drape myself in a fox pelt and mount antlers on my handlebars!(i've been joking about doing the latter for like a week now and it actually happened!) Why that was so much fun i haven't really figured out yet. I vowed to never go hungry today and was eating at just about every stop. The climb was really pumping my metabolism. You know how food normally does that thing where it stays in your stomach for a while and fills you up? Well to understand how long it lasted in my stomach today imagine throwing paper into a fire. Yea, thats what was going on.

The many other cyclists climbing was encouraging. What wasn't so encouraging was the fact that they were all mostly twice our age which we noticed as each one of them passed us at twice our speed. In response to how often one 50ish cyclist did the Trail Ridge route, he responded, "Oh every morning"

Finding a patch of snow was awesome, especially as i sped up ahead to try and pelt those behind me. Unfortunately my accuracy failed and i had to suffer the consequences of a well aimed retalliation.

We got to the highest point in the road(12,183 feet) and interrupted traffic for a good 15 minutes as we took pics nonstop. Oh man, raising my bike over my head and screaming at the snow capped mountains in the distance was like injecting myself with pure adrenaline. The surge of life and accomplishment at that moment is one of those things you never ever forget.

We checked out the visitors center a little ways down and i picked up my first pin of the trip saying Trail Ridge. I really plan on wearing my Camelbak everywhere after this so it'll be cool to have it there. It kind of made me wish i had been more actively collecting more pins along the way thus far, but on the other hand if i hadn't felt compelled at that time, then it probably wasn't that that special. Trail Ridge is definitely a story that deserves to be told. Will definitely keep my eye out for more cool pins now that ive gotten started.

But even cooler was the local Harley Davidson club we came across posing for a group picture. After taking a picture for them, they invited us to pose with them! I was so stoked. All i"ve wanted to do this entire trip is hang out with other "bikers" for the sole purpose of how happy the really corny play on words would make me. They chatted us up afterwards and we're super nice and friendly. It just amazed me how loyal they all were to this company, or lifestyle really. So much fabulous leather... I actually couldn't stop staring at the awesome patches and pins some guys had on their jackets. It pretty much inspired my own acquisition of the trail ridge pin. While I've always thought motorcycles were cool, but ruled them out for being way too dangerous, I've gotta admit that the thought of roaring on a highway in a chopper does make me smile a little.

We super bundled up for the 11 mile descent which was great. Right before going down all the adrenaline of the climb had left me from chilling out so long and i was probably the most exhausted i've ever been while still being awake. But the 5,000 feet down definitely woke me up. At the bottom it was so hot and we immediately delayered. The temperature change was just so wild. Also got to see the Continental Divide marker which was pretty cool as well as a Mama and baby moose on the way back. The Audi party of 10 cars rolling in a row was pretty amusing also.

Getting to the host can always be tough since we're so ready to be done but there's usually a little climb which is annoying. Well I would've rather gone back up the Rockies than climb this ridiculous hill leading to our host today. It just kept going and going and was way steeper than anything we had done. Having just gone over 12,000 feet and complaining about a hill was a little funny but not in the moment. We're staying in a sweet cottage courtesy of Noah's friend Mika. And his parents brought Indian food which was delicious. Tomorrow we're camping! Apparently we're in three 8 person tents, which means fun!

All in all today was an amazing day of accomplishment and bonding for us. No road we will ever travel on in the US will ever be as high as what we did today. Seriously, after summitting 12,000 feet and crossing the country what is there left for us to do? Everyone's really proud of each other and of themselves and you can feel the confidence oozing out of our pores(along with massive amounts of dirt and grime and sunscreen). I would've never have done anything this crazy of my own will and now I have. I'm just really thankful for this huge opportunity of the trip in general to have pushed myself far beyond anywhere i would have normally gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment