Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The MEGALOAD!

Day 27 - June 30, 11:03pm
Build Day. Springfield, IL

Today was the first day aside from our day off where I woke up and thought, hey i'm actually awake and don't want to sleep more. Wonder when that'll happen again...

We were working at a Habitat Site today doing interior work. It was my first time ever doing drywall. Some did that while others drywalled. Putting up the sheet rock on the ceilings by hand was an adventure to say the least. Once again, I have tons more respect at every site for those who do construction for a living. It really is a craft that deserves respect. Dan and I were talking about how great it would be to build our own houses by hand one day. Aside from being way more economical I can't imagine the sense of pride, accomplishment and fulfillment that must come with it.

Got back to the church and finally had some free time. It's odd i realized how we clamor for free time all the time but i always find myself not really knowing what to do with it. I guess that's what happens when you get used to leading such a simple life of eating, sleeping, biking, and building. I find this pretty interesting in general of how you don't know what to do with something once you have it, despite having wanted it.

It was nice though to simply not have to do anything organized and just literally sit around. I decided to induldge in some reading which was fun. Even funner was the nap i fell into while reading on this super recliner. Gotta love those, reading naps are the best. Got at least an hour in and felt great.

My chore group is breakfast and laundry and we headed to the laundromat to wash clothes like we do every 3rd riding day. Inside we came across the mythically proportioned "MEGA LOAD", a beast among washers. I expect it to provide at least 2 weeks of good joke material. We also had fun watching Ryan Farr try out one of those machines where you try and get quarters to slide off a ramp by inserting quarters of your own. He was up 50 cents at one point actually, aka the first throw, but for some odd reason he wasn't able to keep the luck going. It's almost like the game was "rigged" as the owner of the laundromat herself mentioned.

Tomorrow is 80 or so miles and I'm looking forward to recovering from my last less than pleasurable ride. Crossing into Missouri should be fun. It's crazy how we're crossing whole states in 2 days and even moreso how we've come 1,400 miles. Perhaps its because i have more internet access than most, or maybe that ive had so much road time to think about the real world, I've felt a little detached from the wonderful bike and build isolated bubble. I mentioned this earlier and how great it is to just live in the present and focus on simplicity to the exclusion of real life responsibilites. Hopefully that rhythm will return starting on the road tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment