Saturday, July 11, 2009

Mari-what?

Day 38 - July 11, 9:24pm
47 miles. Red Cloud, NE to Alma, NE

Never thought i would feel this way, but ever since Lawrence its like we've been on vacation. Today was less of a riding day and more of a day off spent biking to a lake.

Same beautiful terrain and quick riding held up and before we knew it we had gone 38 miles to Harlan County Lake. Now i know we were gonna have surprises along the way, but lets just say that i wasn't totally prepared to be riding through 30 miles of cannabis lined Nebraska highway today. The stuff was everywhere! And totally out in the open, not even concealed. Quite possibly one of the most hilarious moments of the trip when we realized that it wasn't just our minds making up that smell. No wonder why they call Nebraska "the good life"...

The lake had a great lunch spot and I got on a swing for the first time since I can't remember when. Things only got better when the local ranger Chris took a few of us on a tour of the Dam. As soon as you stepped inside the concrete walls, the 55 degree air immediately surrounded you. 40 degree temperature drops give quite the tingle. He showed us all inside in the hallways and pumps and also took us up to the catwalks where we could see everything below us. I love huge structures like that and gettting the tour was a blast for all of us. No pictures were allowed unfortunately and for some reason neither was pressing the button labeled "Open Gates"

Afterwards, Larry, Carlie, Hilary and I went for a quick dip in the lake which was glorious. I used to be such a stickler about being cold and not wanting to get wet but around this year as part of my larger push of getting rid of silly inhibitions I've totally embraced things like this and the concept of just letting go and doing it. I really try and live as much of my life as i can by this and throwing myself into the cold water was wonderful affirmation of this.

I just completely laid out on the sand for at least a half hour afterwards. It was so surreal, but mostly heavenly, to just be hanging out like that on a sandy beach on a riding day. Just one more example of how Bike and Build has made me appreciate almost everything in my life so much more.

Oh and by the way, did i mention that i finally nailed the van today. Victory sure did taste sweet.

The United Methodist Church put out a great spread for dinner. I could tell because before I even ate I was already so happy thinking about how good tomorrow's lunch leftovers would taste.

Probably the best thing from today was getting to talk to my best friends George and Paul from back home, the latter of which I haven't heard from for a month. I had the biggest grin on my face the whole time. I barely use my cell phone at all on the trip, (not that the service is exactly excellent out here..) so when i do actually call and talk to people its just that much more special and amazing to have the comfort and love of their voice while on the road. Not really being around a phone and being isolated in general like we are really makes you think about who matters in your life via who you find yourself wanting to call.

Only 1 more day in Nebraska, and then Colorado, aka THE WEST! I'm so super pumped for the rockies and showing them who's boss. At least so I say now from the flattest place in the country...

No comments:

Post a Comment