Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cliffs, Canyons, Buildings, and Mountains

Day 49 - July 22, 10:08pm
66 miles. Gunnison, CO to Montrose, CO

Probably one of the most amazing days of my life. ( i love how i keep saying that like every other day) But really. First of all, we started off the day at a solid 20mph pace for a while. At this point i would've been happy with anything faster than 11 so that was amazing. It felt like actual biking again. Also, i finally got hold of a damn post office for once and was able to mail some gifts home to the parents. Keep an eye out Mom and Dad.

I keep talking about how much i love scenery transitions and how much im looking forward to the desert. Well i was riding today and suddenly realized "hey, we're here!" It kinda slowly crept up on us but the ground is definitely getting sandier and redder and shrubbier. And hotter, much hotter. There are less mountains and more mesas and buttes also. Its pretty cool terrain for now, or at least until our skin begins to melt.

At mile fifteen we came across this fantastic reservoir/marina where Jenny used to hang out last year. We all parked and hiked about a mile inland to the most intense cliffs ever. Pretty much the whole group was there, and pretty much the whole group ended up naked. All we could do was appease those cliffs that were begging us to jump. There were several levels with the highest one being between 50-60. Looking over the edge was basically like having your legs turn to jello. Of course i had to do it. I've only done 30 feet at most before and this was a big way up. Standing there and knowing i was about to jump was just wild. I mean seriously what in the world can make some consciously just launch off that. As you stand your body fills with adrenaline and the fear fills your veins. Its hard to describe but that kind of absolute terror combined with calm stillness is just such a centering, focusing, force that i love. You'll never feel more alive.



You just gotta do it so i did it, and easy had 4 seconds of air time. Unfortunately daily life doesn't afford me the most experience with freefalling so my back and butt may have hit the water more head on than i would have like them to. (the video is of a more graceful rider than me) The cringes from the other riders upon seeing my red behind let me know what had happened. But what a rush! It was just unreal and fortunately the pain quickly left. (though the redness is still very much there)

I did a second lower jump with much better form and it rocked. What less than rocked was the dude who was driving slowly by in his boat with his binoculars out. Really?

Well basically as soon as i came out of the water the second time i started to feel a slight back pain that i immediately identified as that of having a collapsed lung. I knew exactly what it felt like from my first collapse two years ago and all i could think was "Really Lungs? Do you have to do this now?" I was doing just fine except for the slight pain and could still breathe well which was great but I had to go treat it. The van picked me up and we drove into the hospital in town to get it checked out. Along the way there were two climbs and two amazing descents straight into town filled with typical Colorado gorgeousness. Ugh, wanted to be coasting down them so bad.

At the hospital the wonderful nurse Christine checked me in and the awesome Dr. Talbertt checked me out. I found out he had spent time in the South, which helped explained why he had the most jarringly calm manner to him that i've ever seen in someone. It was really cool to see my fast talking juxtaposed against his paced speech. NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS: He showed me the x ray and explained that my lung was perfectly fine and that my jump had just inflamed some of the muscles there. He totally cleared me for riding and I really do feel great now. Some Aleve and taking it easy will definitely take care of it. My goodness, i cannot tell you what a relief this is. Nobody in the world should ever have to experience what a collapsed lung feels like or the lifestyle limitations it entails.

An interesting thing happened on the way out. I exited the hospital and realized that i hadn't given any information besides my name. They had forgotten to get my billing info. This was quite the ethical dilemma. On the one hand I could avoid paying fees which i hadn't necessarily sneakily avoided and which wouldn't make or break the hospital. I mean other countries have free healthcare provided so why not me. On the other, I had just received very quality healthcare and could support the system which had taken care of me. Well i decided to opt for the karma route and went back and told them. It's still kind of annoying to know i could've just walked away scott free without anyone knowing or caring. But i think that i'm glad i did what i did and supported the place that had helped me. I was happy that greed hadn't gotten the best of me in that situation and prevented me from literally paying my dues. However I'm sure that had i not been insured(as far too many people are) my decision definitely would not have been the same. The whole situation really got me thinking a lot about the morality of societal freeloading in general and the philosophical implications of karma in our decisions. I know, a whole lot to ponder for one decision...

Dinner was provided at the church by the local habitat chapter. I got to meet one of the board members Connie who had this awesome orange socks, yellow pants, orange-yellow striped shirt combo going on that i absolutely loved and most definitely called her out on.

Afterwards 15 of us filled the van to head back up the route to Black Canyon. Only 4 riders had decided to brave the 6 mile 2,000 foot climb to the top during the day. We were deciding to take the easier route and see what this canyon deal was about. All i can say is that i literally began to tear up as i approached the sunset lit edge of the cliffs and saw what marvelous beauty there was. Even thinking about it just gets me really emotional. Standing up there with my fellow riders and seeing how far we've come to get to this much raw beauty utterly overwhelmed me. We spent the entire sunset hanging out and checking out different angles. The 5 minutes of silence we took while gazing out just put me in another world mentally. I get tingles whenever i reimagine it. I hope the pictures can do it justice. I mean, i keep saying it, but the beauty was just crushing. Never even imagined that a landscape so intense could exist. I heard that its pretty much on par with the Grand Canyon depth-wise and getting to learn about the formation process of the pegmatite dikes was historical fun!

The drive down in pitch dark was wild on its own as the town lights shimmered from afar. We listened to some of my favorite songs that i have associated with this trip("buildings and mountains" by the Republic Tigers, check them out!)and the calmness that i was feeling for that whole ride and still am now was so intense. But there was also a mountain lion! like a legit beast that we passed on the side of the road. I didn't actually see it, but the sudden freaking out and swearing of everyone else definitely confirmed that it was a Mountain Lion. Would've been so cool but oh well.

As if i couldn't be better, Miranda and Clarissa just presented me with a box of gourmet chocolates since i had visited the hospital. I love them. The girls i mean. But i've basically been in the corner of a gym for the past 10 minutes closing my eyes and tilting my head back as i chew chocolaty goodness with caramel dripping wildly from my mouth.

I'll admit it, standing at that canyon, i couldn't help but think of how uncontrollably I'm going to cry when i leave this unbelievable journey and these amazing people. I guess I've just never really felt so connected. To nature, to this trip, to my teammates, and to myself. I think that more than any other day so far, I really feel ready to totally make the most of every single day and really appreciate where and with whom I am. This was definitely the fresh breath i needed to give me a perspective on where i am and where i want to be. I'm looking forward to where this new insight will take me.

2 comments:

  1. Hey George - Greeting from Woodside!!! Glad you are getting such pleasure and joy out of your "bike ride". I am also very HAPPY that the health checked out ok and you can continue!

    Ride Safe!

    Love, Kathy S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for the postcard!!!!!! I loved it and the tidbit about the twine!

    Keep pedaling!

    ReplyDelete