Friday, June 19, 2009

O-HIGH-O

Day 16 - June 19, 10:39pm

81 miles. Weston, WV to Marietta, OH

The title is subtle yes, but think about it.

Today was interesting. I have realized that one either adapts really quickly to the bike and build madness of constant movement or suffers greatly. I'm the latter and this morning was especially rough for me as i was so late doing everything. My biggest problem is that i just can't do anything before I use a bathroom in the morning. With 32 people rushing for 2 maybe 3 of them, this is tough and as a result i am always falling behind. I literally even slept alone in a separate room with its own bathroom last night just to combat this issue but i was so tired in the morning that a line had already formed over my sleeping bag as i woke up. I think 2 weeks is prob enough time to get over the shock and in general i would like to sort this and my other logistical issues out so i can have less stress from these things.

The first 10 miles were nice today until guess what. More rain! However there was also thunder and lightning that started approaching us. When it got over us, we pulled over and chilled under trees and proceeded to get soaked for 20 minutes. In life, I feel there is a very fine line between what constitutes character building on one side and unnecessary discomfort on the other. I'm still trying to figure out where rain fits into this. With 70 more miles to go, I was not overjoyed.

We regrouped once lighting stopped and walked down to a house to seek shelter until the rain weakened. This couple Don and Betty were very generous and let 12 of us dry up in their garage. Their three grandchildren kept running in and out giving us stuff. First towels, then benches, and then food. There were definitely more than a few deer heads in that garage to say the least. The rain subsided just as they were about to cook us bacon(boo!) and we took off. Not only did the rain stop but the sun emerged and shined with rays of happiness. I literally felt like i could do 100 miles right then and there and got so determined to finish today's ride even though we had been delayed 2 hours. I love the sun.

Dan and I tore up the next few miles of flattish terrain until lunch at a volunteer fire station that they had opened up for us. It was really cool inside and had vintage but still functioning trucks.

Unfortunately our chain lube had again been wiped off with the rain and riding was less than comfortable. On top of that, Rob and Dan both got flats while we were riding together and i was worried i would have to be next. Fortunately Larry found us and lent us some lube. My gears were also not quite right and i still need to fix that, but its just so hard to do anything once you get into the host and change out of uniform. True story.

At about mile 50 I regrouped with Larry and we decided that we were determined to make it to Ohio at the very least if not the whole way. We totally booked it like no other up the very last hills of the Appalachians. It was awesome knowing that these same types of hills that were intimidating in the first week were now just part of the routine. My favorite expression is to "Eat hills" as in "We just totally ate that hill! yeah! ugh!" It's pretty fun to say and the iterations are pure fun.

At the second lunch at mile 60 I was quite possibly the sweatiest I've ever been. Mugginess was the theme of the day and it was outrageous how gross we were. For some reason I totally love that slimy sweaty feeling, especially outdoors. Carlie didn't happen to appreciate me rubbing my wet arm against her dry one. It was so bad that i had to plastic wrap my camera for fear that my sweat would drip into it through my jersey.

Post lunch Larry and I decided that we were going all the way and would avoid being picked up in the van at all costs. The land was getting much flatter but we were facing strong headwinds. The heart is the real muscle you use when cycling. Let me tell you, Larry and I pacelined the hell out of that wind. Pacing is where cyclists line up really close to block the wind for each other and take turns being up front while the ones behind rest. We had such a rhythm going and were just totally rocking out. It felt great.

Larry is one of my favorite people on this trip, he's so chill and hilarious and we really just get each other. One of those people you really need to just meet to understand. He deserves much more elaboration at a later time.



Then we got over the bridge into Ohio and hit literally the flattest stretches of land I've ever seen. They were so straight that i couldn't even so all the way to the end of them. I was only in Ohio for a mile before i decided that i loved it. There was also a humongous nuclear power plant on the way, which was the first I've ever seen. It was pretty cool and so overwhelming. Quite the contrast from the wind turbines 2 days ago however...

On the way into town on the main road we were bombarded with like 756 chain restaurant signs. It was pretty funny, but not that much since we were starving. I pulled into the church with 89.75 on my odometer and had to ride around the block to make sure it got to 90. My previous longest was 82 and it felt so great to actually finish today, like unbelievably so. No one got vanned and we were all super happy about that.

Marietta is actually really nice and quaint. The first thing that struck me is how there are literally 6 different churches within the same 4 square blocks. Our hosts are really great and they've been hosting our route for 4 years. Bill also taught us the Ohio Buckeyes arm cheer.

Also found out tonight that i can do pushups again unhampered by any elbow or shoulder pain. I'll get right on those starting tomorrow This gets me really excited because I was really looking forward to being super fit after this trip. Well perhaps i should say "look" super fit instead actually.

I can't believe we totally rocked through the Appalachians. It's great not only to have that amazing sense of hell yeah accomplishment but also to know that we have nothing but plains for a long way to go. Being in Ohio is really intense for me. Its the first place where i really feel like I"m legit in the middle of the country. It's so cool to have this feeling of "yes, i am actually biking across the country and am in a midwest state and just did 700 miles in 2 weeks"

Also, found out that my camera actually does work after the crash just as i was about to buy a new one. It occasionally will do its own thing, as in not open, but it should be good enough to see me through i think.

Again there are so many little computer errands i wish i could do right now but i'm tired and just want sleep. It's not like i won't be tired after 75 miles tomorrow either. Anyway. Sleeping in the sanctuary again tonight. fun.

1 comment:

  1. HI!! ive been catching up on the blog for the past hour. it was riveting, i was gasping out loud at things. ESPECIALLY AT THE DOGS! fabulous sweater, hope your elbow and cuts are healing well. congrats on ohio and good luck with everything. you are awesome, and you should expect mail soon ;)

    ReplyDelete